Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My family in a nutshell

This past weekend I went home to visit my family and some friends, and there was a moment on Sunday night where I thought "this is my family in a nutshell". My brother once said "our family puts the dis in dysfunctional", and do we ever! We're all fairly sarcastic and normally choose one person to pick on, most of the time it's my mom. We're like vultures, circling and choosing the one who says the wrong thing.

So Sunday evening we sit down in the living room after dinner and the last few minutes of "The Amazing Race" are on. It's not my type of show, but I can see how people like it. My mom says that my brother and I should go on the show(!!). My brother, not skipping a beat, says in reply, "Yeah, she'd end up with her head on a pike and a trench coat around it. They'd ask "Are you sure that's your sister?" and I'd shake her head yes, I'm sure." Morbid, right? It was pretty funny, but then my mom starts howling (or cackling) and says that she can just see my brother trying to maneouver my mouth to make me talk and starts getting into detail about my body-less head. Seriously, it was disturbing. These visions of my bloody head on a pike with a trench coat and my brother trying to convince people it really was me were running through my MOTHER'S head and she found it absolutely hilarious. She's sick and twisted, and that's where my sense of humour comes from. Personally I thought that my brother and I would make a great team, even if I didn't make it out alive. And that's my fam in a nutshell.

And my family thinks I'M the weird one. Ya, ok.

2 comments:

gothink said...

Correction: my line was a quote from Sharon Osbourne and it was "our family puts the 'fun' in dysfunctional", which is also true.

As for the success of our team on TAR, I believe I already mentioned the fact that due to the fear I instilled in the hearts and minds of the other contestants by your disembodied head, we would win hands down. Either that, or there would be a lot more heads on pikes.

Ya, we're normal.

-Zach

Strugglecity said...

True, it was Dad that said "we put the dis in dysfunctional"! We do both I guess, and manage to do it at the same time.

I wish our success wasn't dependent on my head being on a pike. It would be more fun if I didn't have to watch from afar (whether looking down or looking up, is yet to be determined).