Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 1: Learn All the Spanish

So here I am, sitting in a garden with WiFi on day 1 of my adventure. Let me tell you, Antigua is such a beautiful town. There are cobblestone streets and restaurants and shops everywhere. My house mom is very friendly but I feel awkward with the communication barrier. I have enrolled in Spanish classes that will start tomorrow at 9am and I will definitely take them every day that I am here.
There are a lot of dos and don'ts. The hardest for me is that we shouldn't eat fruit that is cut up and sold on the street because of how dirty it is and the word parasites was thrown out there and hell no.

The other volunteers are friendly and young. I am for sure the oldest newbie, but they are sure to keep me young!

This weekend I plan on taking a trip to Lake Atitlan. It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places and I have been looking forward to it for awhile! I think it will be the perfect first tour.

Someone said that they hoped to be able to shop at Target. So there's that. Also, I've been told I have to go to the McDonalds here because it is the fifth most beautiful McDs in the world and you could get married there. (Next week's post will not be about me getting hitched in a fast food chain.)

Hasta luego!

No comments: